Brief Description and Objectives
According to Article 235 of the Constitution, each county is supposed to have its own public service to be known as County Public Service. The County Public Service means the inclusiveness of all individuals performing functions within any department of the county government or its agency, but does not include the governor, deputy governor, members of the county executive committee and the members of the county assembly The Public services (Human resources) are handled by the County Public Service Board. The board is headed by the chairperson and is collectively answerable to the County Secretary in performance of its functions.
The sub sectors in the County Public Service are:-
a) Recruitment, Promotion, separation
b) Training /Education
ii. Continuous (refresher) refresher
iii. Short courses
iv. Long courses
v. Professional bodies
vi. Civic education on article 10 and 232 (both to staffs and public)
i. Monthly salaries
ii. Per diem
iii. Salary advance/salary in advance
iv. Training allowances
d. Staff Welfare
iii. Deaths and others
iv. Staff cohesiveness
v. Sports and liaison
Role of County Service Boards
- Establish and abolish offices in the County Public Service.
- Appoint persons to hold or act in office of Public Further, County Offices including in the boards of urban areas within the county and to confirm appointments.
- Exercise disciplinary control over and remove, persons holding or acting in those offices as provided for under this part.
- Prepare regular reports for submission to the county assembly on the execution of the functions of the board.
- Promote in the county public service the values and principles referred to in Articles 10 and 232 of the Constitution of Kenya 2010.
- Evaluate and report to the county assembly on the extent to which the values and principles referred to in Articles 10 and 232 of the Constitution of Kenya 2010 are complied with in the county public service.
- Facilitate the development of coherent, integrated human resource planning and budgeting for personnel emoluments in the county.
- Advise the county government on human resource management and development.
- Advise county government on implementation and monitoring of the national performance management system in the county.
- Make recommendations to the Salaries and Remuneration Commission, on behalf of the county government, on the remuneration, pensions and gratuities for county public service employees.