Establishment of the Governors Service Delivery Unit
Taking into cognisance Articles 174 on the objects of devolution and in particular, Article 174(f) read together with Section 117 of the CGA on Standards and norms for public service delivery, the Governor of Siaya County proposes to create Governors Service Delivery Unit (GSDU). This is in full realisation of the need to accelerate development through improved service delivery. It is recognised that improvement in service delivery is the key for sustainable development.
The Unit will drive performance improvements in critical service delivery areas. Specifically, the Unit will ensure that the Governor’s development priorities are implemented effectively so that they achieve tangible performance improvements and significant results on the ground. The unit will therefore, consist of a small group of dedicated officers identified by the Governor focused exclusively on achieving impact, improving outcomes and generating recommendations geared towards formulation of policies and strategies necessary to improve service delivery.
The GSDU is therefore, a high-performance team tasked with identifying priority areas, as well as using data and processes to ensure that the public sector delivery achieved specific outcomes.
To support the Governor in executing his Constitutional responsibilities and in leading and galvanising the whole of county government and other stakeholders to implement the electoral mandate.
Strengthen institutional mechanisms for outcomes performance management
To put in place systems for innovative ways to implement programmes and projects with high impacts and low delivery risk to the county
To spearhead public sector transformation, performance improvement in critical service delivery areas and to ensure that all energies and efforts are properly aligned to promote a delivery system that holds people responsible hierarchically, with rewards and sanctions as appropriate.
County Transformation Programme (CTP) – This is focussed on public service transformation
- Re-engineering of organisational performance management system to promote human resource planning, deployments, appraisals, rewards and sanctions.
- Strengthen systems to provide for effective planning and budgeting and implementation tracking to ensure support to government activities up to the lowest level possible.
- To move service delivery to e-platform as a tool for ensuring an effective registry system and record keeping that is responsive to changing needs of government, and
- Information generation, sharing and branding of the county.
Accelerated Development Programme (ADP) – This is focussed on implementation of development projects.
- Put in place mechanisms to ensure effective project design, costing, procurement, contractor management and overall project implementation within the financial year to reduce to less than 10 per cent projects carried forward to another financial year and improved budget absorption rate.
Governor’s Priority Areas
Improve market infrastructure to modern standards to promote value addition and commerce.
Strengthen early childhood education through construction, repair and maintenance, deployment of instructors and provision of teaching aid and equipment to improve access and quality of education
Training and skill development for the youth through bursary schemes, scholarships and strengthening of vocational training centres (VTCs) in terms of human capital and infrastructure.
Compliance with Access to Government Procurement Opportunities (AGPO) for the affirmative action.
Improved access through construction, tarmacking and maintenance of county road network and bridges to ensure that at the end of Rasanga III, no part of Siaya is referred to as remote.
Improve health facilities to promote healthy society through construction, equipping, supply of commodities and deployment of adequate staff to all health facilities and universal health coverage.
Wealth creation by enhancing cooperative movement, and promoting value addition in agriculture and fisheries.
Guaranteeing a food secure county through increased agricultural production and cottage industries.
Environmental protection, provision of water and enshrining climate change in development agenda.
Functions of the Unit
To ensure delivery of CTP and ADP, the Unit discharge the following functions:
- – Helping Departments structure their plans of action such that they are aligned with the strategic priorities and contained actionable goals and indicators. This will ensure that resources are aligned to achieve Key Result Areas (KRAs).
- – Addressing failures in interdepartmental coordination that limit the progress made on commitments, helping to detect their presence and working to mitigate them, and providing backing for the interdepartmental decision making coordination process.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Accountability
- – Oversee the integrity and focus of the programmatic strategy outlined by the Governor via monitoring of the commitments organized under the priority areas. The Unit will therefore, evolve an effective monitoring and evaluation framework to conduct independent assessment of performance and progress, give recommendations and highlight areas of attention to Governor.
- – Timely reporting to citizens and other stakeholders on county progress towards fulfilling the governor’s commitments and obligations.