HIS EXCELLENCY CORNEL RASANGA AMOTH’S REMARKS DURING THE OFFICIAL OPENING OF A MUTUAL COLLABORATION ON DIGITAL SKILLS TRAINING BETWEEN GOOGLE GROUP AND THE COUNTY
GOVERNMENT OF SIAYA
First Training Cohort
Ladies and Gentlemen,
1. The County Government of Siaya welcomes the partnership with Google Group to spearhead training of over five thousand Siaya youths on the much-needed Digital Skills within the next few weeks
2. The training initiative by google to be done in various cohorts is quite timely as Kenya is coming online quite fast with the number of current internet users standing at over 68% of the country’s population
3. Such huge internet presence presents major opportunities for Kenyan businesses and the birth of young digital entrepreneurs which this skills training seeks to harness
4. Indeed, if young people have the right skills, they can build businesses, create jobs and boost economic growth across the continent as opposed to idle visit to various social media sites that is currently the norm
5. OLX, Jumia, PayPal are just but a few examples of successful online business demonstrating the need for increased digital skills to bridge the unemployment gap among the youth.
6. Through this partnership with Google, the County Government of Siaya hopes to equip young Siaya residents with digital skills and tools to help them build an online presence, create content, understand web design and user experience, social media and app development for economic gain.
7. Siaya County is proud to be part of Google’s commitment to train one million young people in Africa on digital skills in the next one year, as part of Googles contribution to growing Africa’s digital economy.
8. It is notable that, through partnerships with trainers and local organization, Google has trained six hundred thousand youths in Kenya through offline face-to-face trainings. This makes them a credible partner with experience to undertake this training.
9. As at September 2017, Google launched the online version of its training programme which has continued to provide free access to a suite of tutorials designed to give users the digital skills they need to grow their business, their careers or just their confidence. I encourage the trainees to find this online program and sharpen the
skills that they will acquire through this training.
10. We see a mutuality of purpose and effort between the County Government of Siaya and Google’s Digital Skills
Programme and hope this training will empower the targeted youths not only to leverage the digital opportunity but also to grow their businesses
11. The County Government of Siaya website will mention and provide a link to the Google Digital Skills Programme, referencing it as a training resource under the relevant categories of training content as a result of this partnership.
I now declare the DIGITAL SKILLS TRAINING PROGRAM targeting 5,000 youths from Siaya County officially launched.
HIS EXCELLENCY CORNEL RASANGA AMOTH
GOVERNOR, COUNTY GOVERNMENT OF SIAYA